Tuesday, August 14, 2012

When I am dry



I went to sleep on June 13, anxiously awaiting the next day when our B2R summer intern, a girl named Mary Lansden, would arrive.  She’d be sleeping in the room next to mine, riding to work with me every day, sharing my bathroom, sharing my office, inevitably sharing my friends and my life…and I didn’t know what to expect.

Fast forward two months.  I’m in Uganda, visiting Suzanna Davis and the orphanage that caused her to fall in love with this country.  Last night, August 13, as I stood alone, staring at the stars and listening to the bullfrogs and the hyraxes (huge screaming rats – no big deal), I started to sing – a scary combination of both of the aforementioned sounds.

You are my strength when I am weak.
You are the treasure that I seek.
You are my All in All.
Seeking You as a precious jewel,
Lord, to give up I’d be a fool.
You are my All in All.

Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your Name.
Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your Name.

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame,
Rising again, I bless Your Name.
You are my All in All.
When I fall down, You pick me up.
When I am dry, You fill my cup.
You are my All in All.

As I sang, I realized a couple things about this God I claim to love, serve, and trust.  There’s so much I think I need in life.  Praise the Lord, He knows better than to answer all my prayers, and He knows to answer some that I can’t even pray.  I didn’t know how dry I was, but God brought someone to Rwanda who spoke Truth into my life and pointed me to Him every day for two months.  I don’t believe Mary Lansden filled my cup.  God did, but He used Mary Lansden to do it.

As I sang, she boarded a plane in Kigali.  That season is over, and she may not come back next year.  All the same, I praise God for bringing her into my life, for using her in so many lives here, even if we only knew her for two months.  And while sad doesn’t even begin to cover it, I love that I never have to say goodbye to the One who brought her here, the One who knows when I’m dry and knows how to fill my cup.

Isaiah 46:11 – “From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do.”

I don’t know about that bird of prey, but I have no doubt that Mary Lansden was summoned by the Lord to fulfill His purpose.  Love that girl.  So thankful for her.  

2 comments:

  1. Well, now I want to meet Mary Lansden! She sounds awesome. It is so cool to hear how God is providing for you and how the Holy Spirit is encouraging and comforting you, and working through you.

    Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for the God who fills our cup when it is dry! I absolutely LOVE that song You are my all in all. I am So glad that the Lord brought Mary Lansden into your life and used her to fill you with his Spirit. MC how I miss you beautiful self and how I hope our lives come together again in the near future but for now keep posting on your blog. I love reading your entries. God uses them to speak life into me and to fill my dry cup. xoxo

    ReplyDelete